On my way home Friday I noticed my front brake was a little squishy. I have 6K miles on the bike and I've never so much as had to check the brake fluid, so I pulled the cover and topped it off. My wife and I were just putting on our helmets to go for a ride. When I started the bike I pulled front brake lever and it slowly pulled all the way to the grip. Then I saw the puddle.
We decided to take the dog for a ride in the truck instead, but we swung by the shop for a new front brake line first. Saturday afternoon I decided that I'd just simply swap the line out and we'd go for a ride. I knew it was either going to be ten minutes or an hour.
It's never ten minutes.
I found that the line is bolted to a bracket on the fork that you can't get to unless you remove the whole front fender. Now I know how to do that. And the easiest way to get to it is remove the whole front cowl. Now I know how to do that.
An hour and a drawer full of many different sized screws later, I had it apart. Yay.
And the new line didn't fit. Too short and the angles on the fittings were wrong.
With five minutes to spare I went screaming back up to the shop. They were just closing. I have to go back today and they have to order one.
Last Edit: Oct 23, 2017 3:26:23 GMT -5 by seamus26
Good advice. The old one was spiral wrapped and sleeved. If the new one isn't I might just do that.. I didn't actually see where the leak was. All I know is that the hose was wet above the pressure fitting at the wheel, so it was in the line somewhere.